Now that I’m over the nausea and into my second trimester, I certainly miss my Friday night glass of wine! I cannot WAIT for a cool crisp glass of rosé as soon as this little bebe is born 😉 I’m going to be honest with y’all, I got REALLY tired of just drinking water after only about a month into my pregnancy! Water is great, but it just tastes so *plain* and can be pretty boring at times. Since then, I’ve been experimenting with some different mocktail recipes! So far I’ve found five super easy and delicious drinks – no alcohol needed – that really satisfy your taste buds when water just won’t do. Trust me, I made a lot of BAD mocktails to find five good ones. And in addition to making your taste buds dance, the best part is that all of these are surprisingly HEALTHY! Most of these are made with real fruit, and if they do have sugar it’s in the form of a natural sugar: honey! (I just love honey!)
This first one tastes JUST like a mimosa, I almost couldn’t believe it the first time I tried it! The Topo Chico Lime is essential here, because it’s what gives this drink the fizzy, mimosa-like taste. Oh and did I mention it’s super easy?
- Orange Juice
- Topo Chico Lime
- Pour 1/2 cup of orange juice and 1/2 cup of Topo Chico into the same glass, stir.
Before making this next drink, I didn’t realize how easy it was to create your own watermelon juice. When you throw watermelon chunks into the blender, they blend SO EASY because of their high water content. This one is super refreshing on a hot summer day!
- 1 and 1/4 cups fresh watermelon, cut into pieces
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2-3 fresh mint leaves
- Ice cubes
- Place the watermelon and lime juice in a high-powered blender and blend well, until there are no solid pieces left.
- Pour your watermelon and lime mix into a cocktail shaker. Add a few ice cubes and the fresh mint leaves and close the lid tightly. Shake for 15 seconds.
- Bring out a martini glass and pour in your watermelon mocktail using either the built-in strainer or a separate strainer. Garnish with more fresh mint.
- I like to rim the glass with a tiny bit of sugar but that’s completely optional 🙂 Enjoy!
This next one tastes like a TRUE cocktail… I feel like I should be paying $10 a glass at some fancy bar!! It requires a few more ingredients to make, that’s why I make four at a time 😉 You can drink them all yourself like I do… or serve it in a group setting!
Honey Blackberry Mint Mocktail
- 8 fresh blackberries (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 10 fresh mint leaves (plus more for garnish)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups seltzer
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle together the blackberries, honey, and mint until very well mixed.
- Add the lemon juice and water, cover, and shake to mix.
- Strain the mixture into two glasses with ice.
- Top each glass with 1 cup of seltzer.
- Garnish with blackberries and mint leaves.
This one is really nice if you like kombucha! It’s a *healthy* version of the classic Shirley Temple, but instead of cherry syrup you have refreshing pomegranate juice, and instead of Sprite you have kombucha. Kombucha is a great source of probiotics since it’s fermented… and it’s also chock full of antioxidants. Side note, if you don’t like kombucha then you might not enjoy this drink. I happen to love it!
Kombucha Shirley Temple
- 8 fl oz lemon & ginger flavored kombucha (we use this kind)
- 1/2 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 2-3 maraschino cherries
- Stir together the kombucha and pomegranate juice
- Serve over ice, and add maraschino cherries for garnish
You really think I would write an entire post on mocktails and not include an alcohol-free version of my Jalapeño Margaritas? How well do you guys really know me? Instead of tequila in this recipe, I used my ever-faithful Topo Chico Lime. It’s just as delicious and refreshing as the tequila-filled version, without the hangover. 🙂
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 3 TBSP Topo Chico Lime
- 3 TBSP lime juice
- 2 TBSP freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1.5 tsp honey
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds, then strain into a glass. Add a few jalapeño slices for garnish. Enjoy!
Whether you are pregnant or not, if you have any delicious mocktail recipes please let us all know in the comments!!