Happy Wednesday, everyone! With the Fourth of July just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to share a few of my favorite recipes (they’re kid-friendly, too!). Whether your having a cookout or a cozy night at home, these recipes are tried-and-true favorites of mine and are sure to please.
First up, these Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs are amazing and easy to make! The pineapple adds so much flavor, and the chicken is tender and delicious thanks to the simple marinade. Chris and I love these and think they’re perfect for a summer night!
Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
– 1/3 cup ketchup
– 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
– 1/3 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
– 1/4 cup canned pineapple juice
– 4 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 Tbsp minced ginger
– 1/2 tsp sesame oil
– Salt and pepper
– 1 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into cubes
– 3 cups fresh cubed pineapple
– 1 1/2 large green peppers, diced into cubes
– 1 large red onion, diced into cubes
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, pineapple juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and 2 Tbsp olive oil. Stir in 3/4 tsp pepper and season with salt if desired.
2. Place chicken in a gallon sized resealable bag. Store 1/2 cup of the marinade in the fridge, then pour remaining marinade over chicken. Seal bag and refrigerate 1-2 hours.
3. Preheat a grill to 400 degrees.
4. Drizzle remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil over the red onion, bell pepper and pineapple, and toss. Thread red onion, bell pepper, pineapple and chicken onto skewers until all of the chicken has been used.
5. Brush grill grates with olive oil then place skewers on the grill. Grill for 5 minutes, then brush the skewers with 1/4 cup of the remaining marinate. Rotate to opposite side and brush the other 1/4 cup of marinade on the opposite side and allow to grill about 4 minutes longer.
6. Serve warm and enjoy!
This is a recipe that I made back in 2012, and I still make it every year for the Fourth! It’s incredibly easy and a healthier alternative to so many desserts (since the base is made of Greek yogurt!).
American Flag Fruit Pizza
– 1 can Pillsbury Crescent seamless dough
– 1 1/2 cups of Greek yogurt (coconut flavor if you can find it! Otherwise, vanilla is good)
– Strawberries, blueberries and banana
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lay out the Pillsbury dough on a greased baking sheet. Shape into a rectangle and press down on the corners, then bake 15 to 20 minutes until it’s golden brown.
3. Let the crust cool for a few minutes until it’s room temperature.
4. Spread the Greek yogurt over the crust, right to the edges.
5. Using the blueberries, make a border around the crust, then fill in the top left quadrant to make the “stars” of the flag.
5. Make layers of thinly sliced strawberries and bananas for the stripes.
If you have any favorite July 4th recipe ideas, let us all know in the comments! 🙂
SHOP THE POST: