Since Thanksgiving is coming up THIS week, I thought it would be fun to share what’s on our Thanksgiving menu this year! Chris and I are hosting a very small dinner with just my parents and brother, but we are still going to go all out in the food department. Thanksgiving just isn’t Thanksgiving without some of our favorite homemade meals! This year, to make it even easier on us, we are ordering all of our groceries to be delivered through Walmart+. There are some serious benefits to a Walmart+ membership – such as free delivery from stores (your order must be at least $35 and other restrictions may apply), member prices on fuel at Walmart, Sam’s Club, and Murphy gas stations and access to tools that make shopping faster. We personally love it because our local store has same-day delivery, and we don’t even have to leave the house to get all of our groceries delivered! (Plus, who really wants to be out grocery shopping during the week of Thanksgiving? I think I’ll stay in my comfy clothes in my house, haha!)
I already ordered a few items from Walmart ahead of time to make preparation easier, like eggs, milk, pie crusts and canned goods. I may even go ahead and bake a few casseroles and freeze them over the weekend so that all we have to do on Thanksgiving Day is warm them up in the oven.
And without further ado, here’s what’s on our Thanksgiving menu for the week:
- Turkey and Cranberry Sauce (I actually prefer the canned version to the homemade version!)
- Honey Baked Ham with Brown Sugar-Honey Glaze
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole
- Gouda Mac’n’Cheese
- Cornbread Stuffing
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pecan Pie
I called my mom and asked for her Sweet Potato Casserole recipe ahead of time so I also wanted to share that with you today! This is my FAVORITE thing that my mom makes and this year I’m attempting to make it myself. 🙂
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups sweet potato, cubed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Topping Ingredients:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Put potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Cook over medium heat until tender; drain and mash.
- In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Add in the butter until mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.
Her recipe seems pretty easy to follow, and like I said it is my FAVORITE! If you’re cooking for Thanksgiving this year, definitely check out Walmart+ to make your life a lot easier. Walmart+ costs $98 a year or $12.95 a month and includes a 15-day free trial period so that you can test it out first and see how you like it. Thanksgiving would be the perfect time to try it out! To sign up for the free trial, you can click here.
*Thanks to Walmart for sponsoring this post