This post today has been highly requested: how to buy a designer bag from eBay! One of the most coveted bags in my closet is my Chanel classic flap bag in royal blue – which I bought from eBay! I reaaaaaally wanted this bag for mine and my husband’s honeymoon in Greece. After doing tons of research and looking at bags on eBay, I pulled the trigger in the spring. The bag is from Chanel’s 2016 Cruise Line and no longer sold in stores, but I knew I could could count on eBay to find a pre-owned one in perfect condition.
Buying a handbag on eBay is a great way to get a deal on a designer bag, but you need to know what you’re doing! Here are some of my tips:
- Know what you want. You should have a good idea of the brand and type of bag you’re looking for on eBay – otherwise it’s very easy to be overwhelmed! Use the search bar at the top of the page and adjust the filters on the left-hand side of the page to pull in products that work best for you. If I was looking for my exact bag on eBay, I would type in “Chanel classic flap royal blue” in the search bar.
- Do your research. You should know exactly what the bag retails for! That way, you can be on the lookout for prices below retail value (so that you get the best deal, of course).
- Buy It Now vs. Best Offer: eBay has two different options for how to purchase designer handbags. The first is a “Buy It Now” option: you can buy the bag exactly for what it’s listed for, without ever having to bid on it. I really like this option because you if you want the bag, you are guaranteed to get it, without ever getting in a bidding war with anyone else! The other option, which sometimes yields a better deal, is “Best Offer,” in which you can make an offer for the bag and add a message to the owner – maybe they will accept your offer, or maybe not.
- Look for the “eBay Authenticate” badge! eBay has a program to ensure that the items are authentic, and all of the verified bags can be found here. In case of any doubt, experts will inspect your item upon return. If the authenticity of the item can’t be verified, you’ll receive a full refund.
- Check out the seller. It’s always a good idea to click on the seller’s name and read their reviews and feedback ratings. If the seller has a good rating and a lot of positive reviews, then you can probably trust that the handbag they’re selling is authentic, and that you’ll have a good experience with them as well.
- Look for the authenticity card. Chanel bags always come with an authenticity card that are specific to that bag. If there’s not a picture of one on the listing, ask the owner to send you a picture of it. I would never buy a Chanel bag without proof of authenticity first!
Like I said, I couldn’t be happier with my royal blue Chanel bag! I have the BEST memories of carrying it on my honeymoon in Greece… whenever I look at it, it brings back memories of the cobblestone streets of Greece, or the white-washed walls of Santorini. Here are a few pictures I took with it while I was there!
I linked up a bunch of similar bags from eBay in the widget below. If you have any other questions, let me know in the comments!
*Thank you to eBay for sponsoring this post