Good morning you guys! The title of this post might sound a little scary because if you’re like me, I didn’t know much about EMFs (electromagnetic fields) until a few months ago! Believe it or not, our cell phones, laptops, chargers, even microwaves, all emit a low dose of electromagnetic frequency and no one can really agree on a “safe” level. I want to cover a wide range of topics on Monday Motivation, so today seemed like a good day to delve in to this lesser known topic. So let’s dive right in.
What in the world are EMFs?
I want to preface this by saying I’m not a scientist (as I’m sure you’re already aware hahaha) so I’m going to do my best to explain how EMFs work but also keep this explanation short and simple. Electromagnetic fields (also known as EMFs) are a combination of electric and magnetic fields of force. They are generated by natural phenomena (like the Earth’s magnetic field), but also by human activities, mainly through the use of electricity. Laptops, cell phones, power lines and microwaves are all examples of equipment that generate low frequency electromagnetic fields.
Are EMFs harmful?
The safety of EMF exposure is quite a controversial topic and, honestly, it depends on who you ask. The FCC doesn’t consider low-frequency EMFs harmful, and of course the cell phone companies claim that 5G networks and WiFi are all perfectly safe. However, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (a part of the World Health Organization) classifies low-frequency EMFs as a possible human carcinogen based on human observational data and animal research that link EMF radiation to tumors.
The problem is, even if a small amount of low-frequency EMFs is considered safe, we aren’t really sure of the limit, and humans are now being exposed to man-made EMFs at an unprecedented level. While one or two devices might not make a difference, we encounter dozens throughout our day: our cell phones are glued to our eyes and ears, we have smartwatches glued to our wrists, we use hair dryers, microwaves, we talk on bluetooth in the car, use WiFi and laptops in our homes, have electric blankets on our beds, the list goes on and on.
There have been thousands of studies on how EMF impacts your health; some have linked EMF exposure to cancer (specifically cancer of the soft tissues like the brain and heart), infertility (girls, get your men to stop putting laptops on their laps!), thyroid issues, brain inflammation, fatigue, sleep disruption and more.
How Can You Protect Yourself from EMFs?
There are quite a few things that you can do to limit your exposure to EMFs. The thing I’ve learned is that ANYTHING electric (even if it is simply plugged into the wall and is not in “use”) is emitting EMF radiation. Here are a few things I’ve learned and implemented (and made my husband implement too heheh):
- Distance is your friend when it comes to EMFs. If you are using the microwave, stand at least four or five feet away from it while it’s in use. The same goes for other kitchen devices like your toaster! If you’re going to talk on the cell phone, put it on speakerphone and try to keep it at least a foot from your head.
- Turn off the bluetooth on your phone when you’re not using it.
- Never place a laptop on your lap. There’s a connection between laptops on your lap and infertility (especially in men). If I’m working from the bed, I set my laptop on a pillow. I recently ordered this DefenderShield Laptop Case – you put it underneath your computer and it blocks up to 100% of laptop EMF radiation while also reducing heat exposure.
- Unplug any appliances that are near your head while you sleep. This includes lamps! I actually unplugged my cell phone charger from beside my bed and charge it across the room now.
- Keep appliances and devices off, or on airplane mode as much as possible. Every single night, I place my phone on airplane mode before falling asleep!
- If WiFi use is necessary, only turn it on when in use and turn off the WiFi router at night.
- Sleep away from circuit breakers or large appliances that run overnight, including if the appliance is on the other side of the wall.
- Minimize use of digital devices when possible. Choose real books instead of reading books on your phone. Take digital detoxes as often as you can.
- Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich foods (like fruits and vegetables) help negate the effects of EMFs, so eat lots of those!
- This is a great podcast to listen to for more ways you can protect yourself!
Okay guys, I’d love to hear your opinion! What do you think, and what are some more ways that we can reduce EMF exposure? Okay… now back to the regularly scheduled programming! 🙂
Kitchen gadget I’m loving
These re-usable food storage bags! In my post from a few weeks ago on food prep, I mentioned that I used Ziplock bags for smoothie prep and end up re-using them several times. Well these food storage bags are sturdier then ziplock bags and are also BPA-free and freezer, refrigerator and dishwasher safe. They came in the mail last week and I’m really loving them so far!
Podcast of the Week
I’ve mentioned this podcast quite a few times, but the Ultimate Health Podcast is my absolute favorite! Jesse and Marni have interviewed HUNDREDS of experts in the health and wellness community. Topics include lifestyle, nutrition, fitness, self-help, sleep, meditation, even an episode dedicated to EMF radiation, haha. There’s not a lot of pointless chit-chat and they do a great job of presenting different viewpoints on health from an unbiased perspective without ever “judging” anyone. I love to go back through their old episodes and listen to whatever I find interesting. I honestly have loved every single episode I’ve ever listened to!
This week, eat more…
Apples! It’s SEPTEMBER, you guys, and that means fall is upon us, and so is apple season. I love apple slices by themselves dipped into peanut or almond butter, or baked into a yummy apple pie. And apple cider of course 🙂 Conventionally grown apples are exposed to lots of pesticides and then coated with wax, so organic apples are definitely worth the extra expense. And if you can, buy LOCAL! There are a lot of apple orchards throughout the U.S., you can find the one closest to you here.
Clean Beauty Product of the Week
I recently learned about the clean beauty brand Living Libations and ordered their best-selling product, the Best Skin Ever Face Oil, after reading RAVE reviews. This product is made with pure pressed plant oils and can be used to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize, remove makeup, and more (and you can use it all over your body, not just your face!). I am OBSESSED with this stuff. It’s 100% pure (no toxins at all!) and leaves my skin feeling soft and glowing – really weird to describe until you try it for yourself, haha. I honestly don’t know if I will every be able to use a different cleanser again!
That’s it for this week’s Monday Motivation post, you guys! Let me know what you want to see next week! xoxo